708
9/23/12
PEAK
Over the summer one of the books I read was called "Peak", by Roland Smith. It was the story
of 14 year old climbing addict named Peak Marcellois' and his experience climbing to the top of the
world. This climb would change his life forever.
After Peak gets arrested for climbing a New York City skyscraper, the judge tells Peak
that he has two choices; Peak can stay in juvenile detention for several years, or go live with his
dad in Thailand where he owns a climbing adventure company. When Peak chooses to live with his
father he learns that his dad has some very big challenges for him. He wants Peak to become the
youngest person ever to climb Mt. Everest, the tallest mountain in the world, but Peak ultimately
makes the right decision for himself about this.
In the book, Peak strikes up an important friendship with a poor Tibetan boy named Sunjo who is
three months older than Peak. Sunjo, who's father died trying to save Peak's father on a past climb is
also planning to summit Mt. Everest. During the climactic scene of the book, Peak stops only ten feet
from the summit of Everst and tells Sunjo to summit the mountain without him. Smith writes, "Sun-
jo stared at me like I was crazy, and maybe I was at that moment, but the decision I had made during
the last few feet felt right. I didn't want to be the youngest person to summit Everest. Sun-jo's father
died saving my father. Reaching the top would save Sun-jo and his sisters. With the money from the
equipment endorsements he would receive they would all be able to go back to school".
"Peak", by Roland Smith, is an exciting and stimulating story. For Peak, almost making it to the
top of Mt. Everest is an incredible accomplishment. Doing something extraordinary for a friend in
need is even more incredible.

No comments:
Post a Comment