My Name
My name
is Jacob Henry Sutton and I was born in the year 2000, the year of the Golden
Dragon. I would like to share
the story of my name and how I came to be. My
parents first met in high school, where they tell me they had a one day
romance. They did not actually start dating until they met up again here
in Park Slope over seventeen years later, when they were in their
thirties. After dating for a few years,
they decided to get married and have only one child (my brother Ben would be surprised to hear that). A year after they got married, my mom became pregnant with me. My
parents decided to find out my sex before I was born. Once they learned that I was going to be a boy, they were able to focus on my name.
In the
Jewish religion, it is a tradition to name a child for someone in your family
who has died. When my parents had only been dating for two months, my mom’s
step brother, who she loved very much, my Uncle Harvey, died very suddenly. My mom wanted to name me Henry after Harvey,
but my dad and my Grandpa had bad memories of a guy named Henry in
their family. Henry had a “close” relationship with my dad’s aunt when she was still married
to my great uncle. She ran off with him.
So given this issue, my mom had to compromise and my parents
decided to use Henry as my middle name. My Uncle Harvey’s Hebrew name is my Hebrew name, which is
Chaim. I am told that in Judaism, it is
a great way to honor the memory of someone you love.
You
might be wondering where the name Jacob came from. First of all, my parents liked the name Jacob. Second of
all, my parents only originally wanted to have one child. If they were only going to have one child, my dad felt that this child should be named
after his dad, my grandfather Joseph. Even though my
grandfather was alive when I was born, my dad felt like he wanted his father’s
name to live on after he was gone. So they named me Jacob.
My mom tells me that in some
important ways, I am like my Uncle Harvey- kind and generous. I am glad that I am able to know my family’s history through
my name.
I am like the ocean,
And swimming in
the pool
My name is the
lion roaring
For if I was a
lion
I would say
“Now that’s
good singing”
I love the color blue
I think my name
sounds like it too.
Like fishes in
the sea
Calling out my
name
Shy, but always
full of soul
My name is
Jacob.
I often feel as though I am one
with the ocean. When I am immersed in
water, I feel free, light, and unburdened. The
rush of the waves makes my spirit soar.
Similarly, the cool, crisp, water in a swimming pool heightens my awareness of my body and makes me
feel like I am a fish in the sea. I am like a lion as I love to roar, though my roar is more like a
song. My songs help me to express who I
am, as I am otherwise more cautious and shy. I think these
things identify who I am.
I am Jacob.
No comments:
Post a Comment